Raised with a hard work ethic, which she has honed with a will of steel, April Holmes has redefined what it means to be disabled. April was involved in a train accident in 2001 that resulted in the loss of her left leg below the knee. While she lay in her hospital bed, a doctor told her about the Paralympic Games and three goals were firmly implanted in her mind. She desired to wear the USA uniform. She wanted to break world records. She was determined to win gold medals.
Since her career in Paralympic track & field began in 2002, Holmes has continued to succeed, improving each and every step of the way. Over her astonishing career, April was honored to wear the USA uniform at every major championship between 2002-2016. She has put together several undefeated seasons, broken IPC World Records fourteen times and American Records eighteen times in the 100, 200, 400 meters and the long jump, won 3 Paralympic medals (1 Gold, 2 Bronze); and 5 World Championship medals. With a commanding lead over the growing field of competitors, Holmes had a way of captivating track enthusiast with her grace and style.
Off the track, Holmes runs the April Holmes Foundation, Inc. a non-profit organization assisting people with physical and learning disabilities with scholarships and medical equipment. Having completed her MBA in Marketing, Holmes uses her education to improve the awareness of people with disabilities. April was recently named by the International Paralympic Committee’s “Top 10 Women in Paralympic Sport”, NCAA 2015 Inspirational Athlete of the Year, US Anti-Doping Ambassador, has assisted First Lady Michelle Obama on the “Let’s Move” Campaign, and recently spoke at the United Nations Sport & Social Impact Summit.
April is a well-sought speaker and enjoys opportunities to share her life, medals and journey with others. She has electrified audiences with messages of motivation, diversity, leadership, and marketing. Some of her clients include Deloitte, Disney, The Jordan Brand, Hartford Insurance, and BMW. April also assists companies in Olympic-themed sporting days to enhance the core values of teamwork, determination, discipline, and goal setting.
Ms. Holmes recently co-authored her first book entitled, “The Winning Way” with Brian Tracy, fulfilling her dream of many years to become a published author. The book hit Amazon’s Best Sellers List. April is currently working on her second book entitled, “Stop Limping Thru Life, Start Running”. Additionally, April recently started a podcast entitled “Run Your Life with April Holmes,” where she delivers a weekly motivational message to subscribers of iTunes promoting personal development, accountability, and empowerment.
- 14x World Record Holder; 18x American Record Holder
- 2012 Paralympic Games- Bronze Medalist (100 meters)
- 2008 Paralympic Games- Gold Medalist (100 meters)
- 2004 Paralympic Games- Bronze Medalist (Long Jump)
- 16x US Paralympic Track & Field National Champion
- 2x International Paralympic Committee World Champion
- 3x International Paralympic Committee World Cup Champion
- US Paralympic & US Anti-Doping Agency Ambassador
- Assist First Lady of the US Michelle Obama on “Let’s Move” Campaign (Orlando & DC)
- Honorary coach for Inaugural Warrior Games for injured Iraq soldiers
- Inspiration behind Air Jordan 2009 Signature shoe with APT technology
- Chicago 2016 Athlete Ambassador for IOC & USOC Olympic & Paralympic Movement
- National Spokesperson for Disability Insurance Awareness Month (DIAM)
- International Paralympic Committee “Top 10 Women in Paralympic Sport”
- National Urban League 2012 “Woman of Power”
Delighted Keynote Clients:
- Hartford Insurance Company
- Schneider Electric
- Boys and Girls Club of America
- Stop Limping Thru Life, Start Running!
- Achieving Your Gold Medal Moment
- Communicate Your Greatness
- Get up! Get Going! Get Over It!
- Marketing Your D.R.E.A.M.
- 9 Ultimate Actions steps to becoming C.H.A.M.P.I.O.N.S.
National Media Opportunities:
- NBC’s Today Show; NBC Universal SportsNet
- CBS Early Morning Show
- Fox & Friends
- ESPN: First Take
- Featured in Nick Jonas “Who I Am” & Shaggy “Strength of A Woman” music videos
- VH-1 Charm School teacher “Lesson 8: Determination”
- Forbes, Oprah’s “O”, Upscale, Phoenix Focus, Behold & Sole Collector Magazines